Children’s literature as a framework for SEL
To provide webinar participants with
- a clear understanding of:
- social-emotional learning (SEL) and its 5 Core Competencies: Self-awareness, Self-management, Social awareness, Relationship skills and Responsible decision making.
- the benefits of SEL
- the impact of children’s literature on children’s social and emotional development
- Bibliotherapy as a method for teaching SEL literacy
- a highly interactive and hands-on learning methodology
- selected quality and award winning children’s books that will be used as the main framework for real implementation scenarios and lesson plans
Anastasia Patera is an English teacher and also a writer. She holds a Master of Arts (M.A.) in Education from the Department of Preschool Education of the University of Thessaly. Her Master thesis investigated the depiction of loss and bereavement in picture books and their use in class for promoting SEL and resilience in children. She is interested in Children’s Literature, SEL, Bibliotherapy and its application in education. She has been the instructor in many conferences and seminars/workshops for teachers in Greece and Cyprus and is the co-author of the book “Filanagnosia (love for reading) and socio-emotional development of children” together with Professor of University of Thessaly Tasoula Tsilimeni. She has been certified in EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) with expertise in Preventing Early School Leaving by the Cervantes Institute in Spain. She is very experienced in Erasmus+ projects and she has been a partner to the Laboratory of Discourse and Culture of the University of Thessaly and member of the research team of the School Psychology Department of the University of Crete. Currently, she studies at the the Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology (IAKA), of the University of Thessaly.